10.17.2008

Homework-shmomework

I should be writing one of seven papers due next week, but I’m instead, so very wisely and productively, playing online. One of my favorite ways to waste time is to order free samples of random stuff that I’ll never need. I can always rationalize ordering it and risking the physical and electronic spam because I get free stuff and I never get mail anyway. If Unilever wants to send me a flyer with their latest product, it gives me a feeling of inclusion in this big world if only briefly and that can be nice every once in awhile. 


I’m usually not this much of a procrastinator when it comes to writing papers, but I’m having to re-write my rhetoric paper and I am completely over the process and formatting in APA style to be quite frank. My old subject was the tongue-lashing philosophical nuisance, Peter Ramus. He was incredibly interesting simply because he was so full of himself. All he did was dissect the imperfections of the theories of others and pedantically redefine the bounds of rhetoric until it no longer made sense to him as to what he was doing so he ended with a cute little quip much in the way that Augustine Burroughs does and called it a day. My new subject, Saint Augustine, however is a bit of a prissy suck-up. He lived in the Middle Ages and thus made contributions to philosophy without forwarding the field of philosophy - a daunting but dull task if you think about it. All he did was reconfirm the beliefs of the church but incorporate various population and dogmatic sects into the various justifications which he outlined, making it seem as though as long  a man prays, it doesn’t matter who he is, he must being doing what is moral. Why? Because God would never smite the good-at-heart, right? Of course not. Only bad people die or are cursed with fatal diseases. I’ve never met a good person to whom bad things happen and neither have you. Augustine, you were dead on.


Perhaps this is why I’m not thrilled about writing this analysis. 


Or I’m just bitter because I’d rather be reading Jen Lancaster than rewriting this dastardly paper. 

No comments: