5.25.2008

Geeks have all the fun

Despite working all weekend, I've had a pretty great time.  "Why" you may ask.  Simple:  I got to see Melissa!!


For those of you who may not have read about it, there is a telectroscope, a glorified Web cam, set up between Brooklyn and London.  It's open 24 hours a day until 15 June and allows people on either side to see on another in almost real time. Spectacular, isn't it?!?!


On Saturday afternoon, Melissa and I decided to meet up (thanks to her finding the article seemingly hours after it had been posted) at 2 pm my time and 9 am her time.  I have to admit that when she sent me an email entitled “So when are we doing this?” tears filled my eyes and it took me about 5 minutes to read the second half of the article subsequently.  


When I arrived at the site, the queue was hovering consistently around a 30 minute wait, so I kept jumping to the back since I had about an hour to kill, but at about half one, the line surged to a staggering hour wait, so when I h=made it to the front I relinquished my place in line to the people behind me and sat at the front of the queue until Mel made it “there.”


It was so wonderful to see a face that was familiar on the other side of the glass, and even better that it was Mel.  Sure I’ve had occasional visitors, and I have friends here, but there’s something about someone you’ve known and loved for the past 7-8 years when you’ve been apart for a while.  It’s just refreshing and inspiring.  Plus, the fact that she’s near NY and I’m in London while this exhibit is running has to be a sign of something.



I also got my first DSRL camera on Saturday, and now I can hardly be bothered to come up for air.  I’ve spent the past 48 hours playing with the settings and walking around Harrow finding random things to snap.  I’m like a kid in a candy store, only more pathetic.  But it’s so much fun!!!  



Now I just have to figure out how to strategically pack all of this stuff so I can lug it all back home.  I started packing last week and have since made disgustingly little progress.  Yikes.

No comments: