12.28.2007

Above the Tuscan Sunset

I never really thought that I could fall in love with Italy.  I never acquired a taste for citrusy hues, and I am not a giant proponent of several consecutive sunny days.  I like when the sky is gutsy enough to rain on me and when life can somewhat be viewed in black and white. I think that's why I'm really enjoying Germany and Austria during the winter season even though it's bitterly cold outside.  I consider myself a realist, and a sunny, tangy-colored paradise doesn't seem feasible in reality.  

I don't think that I could have been more surprised by my reaction to the Italian countryside, however.  Aside from constantly being reminded of The Talented Mr. Ripley (and thus, the delicious Matt Damon), I was searching for the winding street where I could one day keep my summer house near the lake so I will have access to the harbor on days ideal for sailing.  Even though the shrubbery had, for the most part, turned a crispy shade of brown and many of the green trees and plants seemed quite out of place although they are engineered never to be out of season, I found a quite peace in the country famed to be home to the worst drivers in the world. 

The food is fabulous; fresh, authentic Italian sandwiches available for purchase in petrol stations/grills, divine espresso and espresso cousins on every corner, and gelaterias occasionally set in a local strip mall for a tasty indulgence, could anyone ask for more?  I submit they cannot.  

Oh, and lets not forget the scenery.  Mountains, lakes, architecture all with a classic theme featuring summery colors so rich that each city street warms you with just one glance.  If I didn't know any better, I'd say I was in heaven.



No comments: