12.27.2007

Girly Things à la a Semi-Non-girly Girl


Yesterday was an amazing day.  Not only did I get to galavant around Austria, but we had the opportunity to parade around none other than the stunningly gorgeous city of Innsbruck, infamous for its Swarovski Crystal factory.  On our way to Innsbruck, we took the autobahn, and I actually brought my camera on this adventure, so I had to take a picture.  Usually I hate being a tourist, but since I'm quite obviously not German and anyone who attempts to speak to me can clearly see this fact to be true, I have no qualms with pulling my camera out every 45 seconds.

Not the greatest view of the autobahn, but trust me, we were trucking along.  A car careened past us at what seemed like a rate that could compete with the ground-speed record about two seconds after I took this picture.  Our van shifted about a foot to the right and I held my breath for about two miles.  I didn't quite know what that was going to accomplish, but it seemed like an appropriate thing to do.


This is the view from the parking lot out side of the Swarovski museum.  Between the mountainous terrain and the shine of the crystals, I was in heaven.


And of course, I made a purchase.  It's shiny; I'm happy.  Life is good.  :)

After we left the museum, we drove around downtown Innsbruck to look at architecture and landscape.  It was so magnificent.  My words could never do it justice.




I'll have a few more pictures on my flickr if you want to live vicariously though 540x720 pixel arrangements on a screen.  The link is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegreenspeakeasy

Today we went shopping in München, where I found a shirt to wear to a New Years party we're attending on Saturday.  I think, before you look at German fashion, that it is important to see Canadian fashion.  Canadians have no idea how to dress themselves in any situation.  Compared to Canadian fashion, German fashion is a bit of alright.  It takes more diligent hunting and pecking through t-racks and rounders to find the pieces that are "20 euro cute" or even more expensive than that if you're really in need of outer wear, but it's comparatively doable.  I found a few stores aside from the American influenced chains that were stylish, but it was a challenge.   Piece of advice: don't rely on Eastern Europe to provide adorable european fashions that you'll be in love with.  Go to France.  

No comments: