12.25.2007

Schwarzeneggerland/Deutschland

Christmas felt like any other day.  In hindsight, it doesn’t even feel like December despite the wintery landscape.  I don’t know how much more Decemberesque it could be outside, but I’m still not believing it.  I should probably get my head examined or something... seriously, it couldn’t be any more blatant that Christmas time has just passed.  Oh well, I’m not religious, so I won’t linger on my disbelief any longer.


Since my days have been teeming with excitement and adventure, it’s really no wonder I feel this way, though.  Yesterday we drove around Germany and Austria.  The sights were so lovely I wanted to jump out of the car, find a native, learn to speak Deutsch, send for my belongings, and apply for citizenship.  I’ve never seen anything so beautiful in all of my life.    


Our first stop was Neuschwanstein Castle.  As we approached, I could see it nestled on the mountainside among the snowy treetops, and it took the breath right out of my body.  My mind could no longer tell my diaphragm to contract to inhale the thinning air; it could only register the beauty before me.  


We’ll have to go back since the castle was closed, but here is the view from the winding roadways leading up the mountainside:

Hohenschwangau
Neuschwanstein

After our castle-viewing excursion, we set out for the Austrian countryside. See for yourself:
At this point, I doubt that I need to mention I'm in love.

No comments: